Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Review of Outside In by Maria V Snyder

This makes two reviews in a row of books by Maria V Snyder. She is, of course, one of my favorite authors.

Outside In is the sequel to Inside Out, and this review will, naturally, contain Inside Out spoilers.

Trella thought her part was over. She led a rebellion and won Inside back from the Travas and Pop Cops. Now she's happy to give control over to a Committee.

But The Committee can't decide on anything, everyone still harbors Scrubs/Upper prejudices, Inside is practically in anarchy, and now something from the Outside wants In.

The Inside Out series is dystopia, a genre that's increasing in popularity. It's more science-fiction-y than I'm used to, but I read it anyway, and found myself glad afterwards for doing so.

I thought Trella was a great character from the beginning, but in Outside In, she just gets better. Initially, she's content to leave everything to The Committee. After all, she's just a air duct scrub, not a leader. Her hesitancy to take control made her feel more real. Then when she finally realised she had to take matters into her own hands, she became admirable. All throughout, she proved herself a clever and resourceful protagonist.

Maria V Snyder's writing is unique and descriptive - she manages to create a far-out setting and then write it so that I can picture it clearly in my head.

The plot was constantly twisting and turning. Just when you think you had it figured out, some development you never saw coming arises. The quick-witted characters did, however, manage to overcome each problem, with no small amount of difficulty.

The ending leads me to believe there won't be another book in this captivating series. Though I wish there were more, I can honestly say I feel happy for the characters who worked so hard for their denouement.

I give Outside in a 5 out of 5, and I give NetGalley a huge thank you for the opportunity to read this.

1 comment:

Demitria said...

Okay, so I didn't read the review because I don't want to spoil the first book, which I will definitely be reading soon. Can't wait!

demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

Post a Comment