Friday, December 24, 2010

Review of Entice by Carrie Jones

Entice is the third book (and not the last, as I thought when I started reading) in Carrie Jones' Need series, and came out several weeks ago.

Entice picks up where Captivate left off - Nick's dead (sort of), a war with the evil pixies residing in the forest seems imminent, and Zara's now a pixie queen.

The only solution to the brewing war seems to be getting Nick back from Valhalla to help them, but they haven't a clue how to get there. And will Nick even want to come back, considering Zara's recent change of species?

I found the first two books in the series okay, but Entice kind of irritated me.

Firstly, Zara came across as incredibly selfish in this book. It's not enough that she was risking her own life to find a way to Valhalla, but she risked everyone else's lives, too. I'd like to say that she was selfless in trying to save Nick, but it felt like the only reason she was doing it was because she couldn't stand to be alone.

The plot was also weird - there are evil pixies in the forest, kidnapping kids, but instead of tackling that issue, they try to bring back their friend from the dead. By the end of the book, there were over 20 kids missing.

The writing style was quirky, though it didn't feel appropriate given the life-or-death serious plotline.

From what I can gauge from other reviews, people who liked the start of the series loved Entice, but people who weren't that hooked to begin with were let down. I fall into the latter category.

I give this book 2 out of 5, though I still recommend it to anyone who liked the first two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment