Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review of Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Angelfire is Courtney Allison Moulton's debut novel, and the first in a trilogy. It's due for release on the 15th of February, 2011. I have NetGalley and HarperCollins to thank for the advanced reader's copy I received.


Ellie doesn't understand why she has nightmares of horrible creatures and far off times and places until she starts seeing the creatures in the real world. They're reapers - beasts that devour humans and send their souls to hell.

Ellie soon meets Will, who tells her she's the reincarnate of an ancient warrior - the only person who can wield angelfire and kill the reapers.
But with the reapers threatening to bring about the End Of Days, the apocalypse, she finds herself barely-trained and on the frontlines of a supernatural war.


Firstly, I want to talk about the non-paranormal aspects of this book. It was refreshing to just have a normal heroine: with friends, but not popular; average at school; average socioeconomic status; and with both parents alive and together.

And the paranormal aspect was unique to anything I've read before: reapers, angels, demons. The mythology behind it all was interesting and made the current situation and conflict believable.

The action scenes were well-choreographed, and the writing style created suspense and tension during dramatic scenes.

The romance played only a small role in the story, and was sweet and believable. Ellie and Will had chemistry, and separately, they had depth and unique personalities.

Angelfire was a fun read. It had humor, action, romance: something for every reader. I'd recommend it to anyone. I give it 4 out of 5.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the cover to this one, your review was really good to straight to the point! Haven't read this one yet but I want to ;)

Small Review said...

I like how you mentioned the normal stuff about the character. I laughed a little when you said both her parents were alive and together.

I'm really looking forward to this book. Humor, action, and romance sounds good to me!

Naj said...

I've been hearing good things about this book. Maybe I should really buy it already. :D Thanks for the review. I now know what to watch out for.

Naj
Unputdownable Books

Post a Comment