Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Faves of TwentyEleven: The Scenes

This is the third day of Nomes's Faves of TwentyEleven feature, and the theme this time is favourite scenes.

Also, if you missed them, check out Day One: The Books and Day Two: The Characters as well.


1. Best first chapter
The Opposite Of Amber by Gillian Philip
Well, rather, prologue. But it set the eerie mood so quickly and was just written impeccably well. Sometimes you can tell the author put extra effort into the beginning, but in this case, the rest of the book lived up to it.

2. Best climax
Fury by Shirley Marr.
You were aware the whole time of the endgame, but the build-up to finding out why she did it was so suspenseful.

3. Best ending
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.
The ending with Sean & Corr was just the sweetest, most touching thing.

4. Best plot twist/relevation
The Daughter Of Smoke And Bone by Laini Taylor.
I'll not spoil it, but I think everyone who's read this knows the part I'm talking about.

5. Scariest/most disturbing scene
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma.
I'm going to cheat and count multiple scenes for this one. From first finding London dead in the lake with hair swimming around her face, to each reappearance from her. She was the creepiest character, made only worse (better?) by vividness the imagery.

6. Steamiest scene
The kiss at the end of All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin. Not exactly the steamiest, but the most memorable kiss I've ever read.

7. Best swoon-worthy moment
Davey riding his bike to meet Tiff at the end of A Straight Line To My Heart by Bill Condon.

8. Biggest nail-biting moment
The moments before the Scorpio Races in, er, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Both characters had so much riding (no pun intended) on the race, and they couldn't both win (unless they, I don't know, threatened to kill themselves with poison berries)(wow, that's actually a really weird thing to do out of The Hunger Games context).

9. Most hilarious scene
In Past Perfect, after Chelsea's been 'kidnapped'. I'm not usually a reader of the cute, but I couldn't help smiling through that scene.

10. Most heart-breaking/tear-jerker moment
The scene towards the end of The Daughter Of Smoke And Bone after Akiva's realised. Karou still has no idea what's happened and is just standing confused while he's on his knees crying into her. I think I forgave him even before I found out what he did.


So how would you guys choose differently? If you made a list as well, I'd love to read it if you leave me a link!