Monday, December 19, 2011

Faves of TwentyEleven: The Books

The lovely Nomes at inkcrush is doing this again (maybe you remember the midyear 'Faves of 2011 (so far)'?), setting categories and having us rack our brains for our favourite reads of the year. You can check out the five days' themes and their categories at her original post here and join in! It begins with Day One: The Books.


1. Favourite book read in 2011
Tough one! I'll leave the overall category blank because I can't pick just one from my pool of favourites.

2. Most powerful book
Break by Hannah Moskowitz
It really packed a punch, and I was kind of touched by what it had to say about optimism/pessimism towards the end.

3. Brilliantly funny
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.
Not of my usual brand of humour, but still very fun to read.

4. Best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read
Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

5. Most beautiful story
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The characters worked so hard for a life they so wanted, and the way even that shitty compromise they got out of completely hopelessness made them so happy kind of punched you in the face and then put ice on the bruise.

6. Delicious rainy day comfort read
Past Perfect by Leila Sales.
Just so adorable and fun. Cute without feeling too 'young'.

7. Adrenalin-fuelled, unputdownable award
Legend by Marie Lu

8. The most beautiful prose award
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

9. Most atmospheric and vivid setting
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The circus was just so fleshed out, it was in many respects a character itself.

10. I-so-want-to-go-there award
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
I loved the island of Thisby, so famously different and isolated. It was fleshed out so well by characters who both hated and loved living there.
Plus an honourable mention for This Is Shyness and the peculiar perpetual night of Shyness.

11. Most original and imaginative
Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor
The idea behind each story was just unbelievably creative. With a mind like Laini Taylor's, I don't think you could ever be bored.

12. Best under-appreciated, hidden gem book
The Opposite Of Amber by Gillian Philip

13. I-had-no-idea-I-would-love-this-so award
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
I went in expected some kind of breezy Sarah Dessen-esque book, but it turned out more Courtney Summers-esque and man I loved it.

14. Most haunting story
Tighter by Adele Griffin
There was a sinister undertone to the most un-sinister events; wholy creepy. Another that suits this category very well is...

15. Outside my comfort zone but gosh how I loved it
Fury by Shirley Marr
Revealing the conclusion at the very beginning and slowly explaining how it came to that isn't usually my thing, but Fury just amazed me. I read it way back in July and sometimes I still remember it and get choked up about Neil all over again.

16. Series that I'm loving
Cold Awakening by Robin Wasserman
So I've only read the first, Frozen, so far, but I own the rest and it feels like the tone will go in whole other direction now and I'm excited by having no idea where it will go.

17. Always recommending this book award
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

18. Completely awesome premise award
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
A girl who runs errands between worlds suddenly cut off from one of them. Yeah, there's nothing to not like.

19. Would make the best movie
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
It was so visual and I feel like the psychological themes would fit in with current movie trends.

20. Want to re-read alreadyLips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor
I usually can't stand rereading, but these are short stories and I feel like I'll just find more aspects of the story to get choked up over on further inspection.

Plus a couple of books I'll be reading before the end of the year that I have really good feelings about: I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg-Sloan, Dreamland Social Club by Tara Altebrando, and This Gorgeous Game by Donna Freitas.

Do you agree with me in any categories? Or disagree? What would you have chosen instead?