Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Faves of TwentyEleven: The Characters


You should check out yesterday's post for day one for an introduction, or Nomes' post here. And without further ado, Day Two: The Characters...
1. Favourite female main character
Anya from All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin.
I loved how she was loyal and a strong female lead in the actual definition of the term, not just a literally, physically strong character.

2. Favourite male main character
Jonah from Break by Hannah Moskowitz.

3. Best couple
Tiff and Davey from A Straight Line To My Heart by Bill Condon.


4. Who I so want to be best friends with
It feels like a cheat answer, but Corr from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. I really want a water horse, but one slightly less malicious than the norm like Corr.


5. Who I fell completely in love with
Jerome from The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
I love Maureen's romantic leads, relatable before swoony, and so clever and funny.


6. Worst (best & baddest) villain
Warner from Shatter Me.
It's not that I ship him with Juliette, but that I just want him in the background of every scene, smirking and just having a general disregard for other people. Believable villains are so few and far between, but Tahereh Mafi pulled hers off wonderfully.

7. Best character twist
Not really that much of a twist, but the monster from A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I liked the backwards nature of a good monster.


8. Best kick-arse female
June from Legend by Marie Lu.


9. Best kick-arse male
Day from Legend by Marie Lu.
Both June and Day were so much more admirable for being calculating as well as skilled.


10. Broke your heart the most
Mihai from Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor.
I can't simultaneously explain why and do the story justice, but wow, his story of redemption was just the saddest and most warming thing.

11. Favourite pet/animal character award
Griffin the eagle from Blood Song by Rhiannon Hart.

12. Best YA parents award
Lola's dads from Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins


13. Favourite sibling relationship
Of course this goes to brothers in one of Hannah Moskowitz's books. Either Invincible Summers's Noah and Chase, or Break's Jesse and Jonah.

14. Favourite best friends/friendship award
Olive and Ami from Shift by Em Bailey.
Not because they were uber-close and supportive or were a fleshed out pair, but because, well, I don't want to spoil it. They were different is all you'll get out of me.


15. Best/worst character names
Best: Sandinista Jones, of The Sharp Time by Mary O'Connell. I've admittedly never heard her namesake song by The Clash, but it's the perfect name for such an angry and scorned character.
Honourable mention to the background character Skye in Saving June. A+ name.
Worst: I'm going to go with the James that features in around every second book I read. I hate boring names, in books and real life.


How would you have chosen your favourite characters differently?