Thursday, December 22, 2011

Faves of TwentyEleven: The Random


For if you want to better understand this series: Nomes' post.

For if you missed them: Day One: The Books
                                Day Two: The Characters
                                Day Three: The Scenes



              Day Four: The Random:


1. Favourite first sentence
"I can be so, so quiet," from Shelby in Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. I flicked through a bunch of books on my shelf to pick one for this category, and this sentence stood out as one not attempting to shock you ("My mother thinks I'm dead", "I've been locked up for X days", etc.) into interest.

2. Favourite book title
Every You, Every Me by David Levithan.

3. Favourite reading experience
Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor, for the illustrations.

5. Book with the most sensual weather
The Opposite Of Amber by Gillian Philip. The snow and water of the story's winter backdrop is a huge part of it. Even the title is a reference to the water.


6. Most embarrassing book cover
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. I read it self-consciously on a crowded train, but the lady beside me was reading a Mills & Boon romance so comparatively, I guess I looked fine.

7. Can't believe you waited this long to read the book
Frozen by Robin Wasserman. It came out as Skinned in 2008, but I never picked it up until it was repackaged just recently.

8. Book you'd give your mum/sister to read
My sister likes adult crime, which is almost as far from what I read as you can get, but I think if she'd humour me by taking up one of my recommendations, she'd like Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake.

9. Book you'd give your dad/brother to read
Maybe The Scorpio Races, for my dad for its horse racing? But my family mostly doesn't read.

10. Book you'd like to give your past self to read
The Daughter Of Smoke And Bone by Laini Taylor, so I could skip over my old thing for crappy PNR and sooner realise my love of eerie contemporary fantasy.

11. Book that lived up to the hype
Saving June by Hannah Harrington.
My most trusted fellow reviewers were raving about this since its early Australian release, and I wasn't disappointed.

12. Book you stayed up the latest to finish
The Name Of The Star by Maureen Johnson.
I was up reading the galley on my laptop in bed way beyond the point at night where reading a horror story becomes a definite bad idea.

13. Book you were dying to get your hands on
Break by Hannah Moskowitz. It was on my wishlist for ages before a lucky gift card giveaway win had it on its way to me.

14. Fattest brick of a book you read
Definitely not the actual longest book I've read, at 450-odd pages, but The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer certainly felt like it with its complete absence of plot.

15. Killer cliffhanger award
Maybe the only cliffhanger that worked how it was supposed to on me, the one from the end of A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young. But the blurb for the next book eased my worry anyway.

So how do your picks differ?