Thursday, July 14, 2011

Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Currently ReadingForgotten by Cat Patrick

Pages: 280

Publisher: Hardie Grant Egmont
Published: June 1st, 2011
IBSN: 9781921690624








I remember forwards. I remember forwards, and forget backwards. My memories, bad, boring, or good, haven't happened yet. So I will remember standing in the fresh-cut grass with the black-clad figures surrounded by stone until I do it for real. I will remember the funeral until it happens - until someone dies. And after that, it will be forgotten.

Here's the thing about me: I can see my future, but my past is blank. I see the future in flashes, like memories. I remember what I'll wear tomorrow, and a car crash that won't happen till this afternoon. But yesterday has evaporated from my mind - just like the boy I love. I can't see him in my future. I can't remember him from my past. But today, I love him. And I never want to forget how much.




Forgotten has an undoubtedly unique premise, one that is instantly intriguing. London remembers in the opposite way we do. She remembers what happens and forgets it as it happens. Her memory resets every night and she has to leave herself notes for the morning just so she can get by day-to-day.

What I found to be the best thing about Forgotten was that premise. It's exceptionally unique and different, though I found inconsistencies that bugged me about it. They aren't too obvious though, and them aside, it's interesting to see how London deals with it.

Though I guess I was kind of disappointed by how her unconventional memory wasn't the main focus at times. Much of the novel is about London trying to win back her friend, her falling for her boyfriend (over and over again), and her trying to figure out why her mum has been keeping things from her. I found myself getting bored on occasion without significant drama caused by her condition.

The romance was sweet and Luke and London had a lot of chemistry. Their relationship felt natural, though London's constantly forgetting and remembering him equalled lots of re-describing and re-swooning that kind of annoyed me. I couldn't say I swooned along with her either -- I've heard other people describe Luke as 'sweet' but the constant re-describing and re-introducing had me viewing him as 'smarmy' instead.

The writing style was simple in a deliberate and well-crafted way. The straight-forward descriptions and short sentences set the quietly sad mood of Forgotten. The prose had a flow to it that was just easy to read.







What I assumed to be the main plot fell a little late in the story, and our main character had too little to do with the solution of it for my liking. She wasn't really the person who solved the complication, she just offloaded it to someone else and gave them a little help. The ending was a little abrupt, as well. We didn't get to see any of the calm following the denouement, so it felt unresolved.

Forgotten is definitely for people who don't like to think too hard about what they read, and just enjoy it. It's got a sweet romance with a unique psychological twist, but has its problems in equal proportion.

I give Forgotten a 3 out of 5.