Friday, April 29, 2011

Review: Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

Series: Magic Under (#1)
Pages: 240
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Published: December 22nd, 2009
IBSN: 9781599904306







When a wealthy sorcerer hires Nimira to sing with a mysterious piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it will be the start of a better life. But at the sorcerer's estate, rumors swirl about ghosts, a madwoman, and fairies that are tortured for sport. When Nimira discovers-and falls for-the spirit of a fairy gentleman trapped in the automaton, she will also find the fate of the magical world in her hands.



[Synopsis by Goodreads]



I borrowed Magic Under Glass from the library because of its cover. It's totally adorable, and reminds me of Disney's Beauty And The Beast (and I love me some Disney classics).

Magic Under Glass is narrated by Nimira, a foreign "trouser girl" who's soon hired by Hollin Parry to perform with his newly-acquired clockwork automaton. She finds the automaton to actually be haunted by a fairy prince, and tries to free him.

I really liked Nimira. She was strong-willed and determined, and also was unique and stood out from the supporting cast of characters.

I felt a lot of chemistry between Nimira and Erris, and I liked how although Hollin loves her, that it didn't feel like a love triangle. Nimira knew who she wanted, and didn't spend time angsting about who to choose and luvv 4eva (I can't be the only one who thinks teenage protagonists acting like their love interest will be their love interest forever is unrealistic and naive, can I?).

The fantasy world the story was set in was vividly described and thoroughly built. I especially liked how magic and fairies weren't a secret. It was refreshing and different.

Jaclyn Dolamore's writing was fluid and descriptive, and almost impossible to put down. There wasn't any time wasn't on events irrelevant to the plot, making for a quick read.

The ending wasn't a cliffhanger, yet it still leaves room for the sequel (Magic Under Stone) to pick up without it feeling unnatural.


I give Magic Under Glass a 4 out of 5.