Saturday, April 2, 2011

Review: Entangled by Cat Clarke

Entangled by Cat Clarke

Pages: 374
Publisher: Quercus Publishing
Published: January 6th, 2011
IBSN: 9781849163941








The same questions whirl round and round in my head: 
What does he want from me? 
How could I have let this happen? 
AM I GOING TO DIE? 


17-year-old Grace wakes up in a white room, with a table, pens and paper - and no clue how she got here.

As Grace pours her tangled life onto the page, she is forced to remember everything she's tried to forget. There's falling hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Nat, and the unravelling of her relationship with her best friend Sal. But there's something missing. As hard as she's trying to remember, is there something she just can't see?

Grace must face the most important question of all. Why is she here? 


[Synopsis by Goodreads]



Entangled opens with our protagonist, Grace, in an eerily white room with nothing by way of entertainment sans pens and paper. Her would-be captor, Ethan, encourages her to write, and so she does. Her story is told partly through present tense as she struggles to remember how she got there and partly through her past tense writing.

Grace's voice is clear and confident. Though I kind of disliked her at times, I could always see where she was coming from. And besides, you aren't supposed to love the main character - you aren't supposed to want to be them. You're supposed to be interested in their story, and that I was.

From the blurb you could already tell that Grace was no longer friends with Sal or Nat's girlfriend prior to the beginning of the book, but why that is became very obvious very early into the retelling. I could understand why it took Grace so long to find out, but was still slightly annoyed by it.

Cat Clarke's writing style was engaging and incredibly clever and she tackled intense subject matter unflinchingly. She's definitely an author to watch out for.

The ending of the book tied up the loose ends, albeit in a vague way. I had to reread the last few pages and then think some before I actually understood what happened. I love an ending that makes you think, especially long after you've finished reading.

I give Entangled a 6 out of 5.