Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


Series: The Goddess Test (#1)
Pages: 297
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: April 19th, 2011
IBSN:  9780373210268








Every girl who has taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn
. 

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall. 

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests. 

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. 

If she fails...


[Synopsis by Goodreads]


I originally read the blurb to this book, thinking it'd be some crazy-intense read with the 'tests' being almost impossible feats, literally twitching out of anticipation of reading this epic mythological debut. And I was kind of disappointed.

The book was slow in building to the paranormal aspects, and then it was dumped on Kate so quickly that it was unrealistic that she believed it straight away. I did like how the myth of Persephone and Hades was adapted into a modern context, though.

I didn't feel any chemistry between Henry and Kate. He essentially blackmailed her into spending time with him, which to me, doesn't seem like very good basis to fall in love with someone upon. And I think I missed the point where Henry got over Persephone and onto Kate.

The tests weren't as hard as I thought they'd be. I assumed they'd be difficult and seemingly impossible, a la in Impossible by Nancy Werlin. Also, there were too many "you failed. LOL jk, you passed" moments in the plot that didn't really build up any tension for me.

The writing style was good, though. There was a flow to it that made it easy to read. I think I'd consider reading other future books from the author outside of this series.

I give The Goddess Test a 2 out of 5. Though, most of the other reviews I've read of the book have been uber-positive, so I wouldn't disregard it just yet.