Monday, April 18, 2011

Fantasy or paranormal?

I tag my reviews with the book's genre, and I'm always stuck when it comes to paranormal/fantasy novels. What's the difference between them? How do YOU define them both? Or do you consider them the same thing?

Usually, I consider books involving "creatures" (vampires, werewolves, angels, etc.) as paranormal, and ones that involve supernatural elements that aren't part of a person (magic, time travel, etc.). I mean, there are some clearly defined ones. Graceling is obviously an epic fantasy novel, and Twilight is obviously a paranormal. But some books I read, I can't define as easily. I had no idea about whether The Near Witch was a fantasy or paranormal for ages before just picking fantasy almost as a guess.

But how do YOU guys tell the difference between them?