Monday, January 24, 2011

Review of The Lost Saint by Bree Despain






Grace Divine made the ultimate sacrifice to cure Daniel Kalbi.  She gave her soul to the wolf to save him and lost her beloved mother.  When Grace receives a haunting phone call from Jude, she knows what she must do.  She must become a Hound of Heaven.  Desperate to find Jude, Grace befriends Talbot - a newcomer to town who promises her that he can help her be a hero.  But as the two grow closer, the wolf grows in Grace, and her relationship with Daniel begins to crumble.  Unaware of the dark path she is walking, Grace becomes prideful in her new abilities - not realizing that an old enemy has returned and deadly trap is about to be sprung. 

[Synopsis by Goodreads]

First of all, I want to say that the covers in this series are so beautiful. I'm going to guess (and hope) that the next book has a red color scheme.

The Lost Saint had an amazing plot - I could never see where the story was headed. Part of that unpredictability probably stemmed from being locked in Grace's head, with the first person narration, and having no idea which other characters you could trust or couldn't.

The werewolfism (I don't care if it's not a word - you know what I mean) in this series is so unique in lore to other werewolf books. I especially liked how it was seen as more of a curse than a blessing. I hate books where there's no downside to being a supernatural being.

Grace was a dynamic character. She struggled both with her newfound lycanthropy and with her family problems. Her relationship with Daniel is tested, and a darker, stronger side of her comes out in this book.

The book ended on a cliffhanger. The ending cleared up some of the conflict from the book while introducing new problems to be faced in the next book - which I cannot WAIT to read!

I give The Lost Saint a 5 out of 5.

I read The Dark Divine way back just after in came out, and probably would have given it 3.5 out of 5, at odds to how much I *loved* this book. My reading tastes have really been warped over the past year.