Sunday, November 28, 2010

Review of Always A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough.

Always A Witch is the sequel to Once A Witch; the sequel I wasn't aware even existed until I found it on NetGalley (who I have to thank for the opportunity to read this).

It goes without saying that this review will contain Once A Witch spoilers.





There are two main families of witches - the Greenes and the Knights. The difference between them is their morals. The Knights practiced blood magic, and the Greenes put a stop to this by created the Domani - the device which blocks the Knights from using their Talents.

And this worked - for a while. Before the Knights found the flaw in the Domani and found the way to get their power back.

So when the Greene's future-telling book reads of a time where the Greenes no longer exist, it's clear that the Knights found a way to Travel back and stop the creation of the Domani. It's clear to Tamsin then that she's the only one who can prevent the book's prophecy.

She Travels back to Victorian-era New York and disguises herself as a lady's maid within the Knight's home, wherein she'll have to find a way to save her family before it's too late.

Carolyn MacCullough writing style is suspenseful and enchanting. I read Always A Witch in one sitting. The plot twists constantly, so there's no room for your mind to wander while reading.

The characters felt realistic to me. The juxtaposition between the mannerisms of characters from the the Victorian-era setting and those who really belonged to the modern era was clear. I especially loved Tamsin, for the way she thought on her feet and was brave through all trials she faced. Her voice really showed through the writing, and her emotions left me feeling empathetic to her.

This book also, to me, really stood out from the rest of the books in its genre. The romance was refreshing - to have a love interest like Gabriel who was Tamsin's best friend growing up, and not have a love triangle. The character was also always privy to the supernatural world around her, rather than having a heroine just thrown into a new world and having to adjust.

What I also found so endearing about this book was the unpredictable and clever storyline. It reminded me of The Mortal Instruments series in the way the there were so many plot threads all tangled, if you'll excuse the bad metaphor.

Reaching the end of the book, though I enjoyed the ending that I never saw coming, I felt genuinely sad that the ride was over. Though I'm unsure whether the series is to be continued, the ending of Always A Witch makes it seem as though it's the final installment.

I rate Always A Witch 5 out of 5, and recommend it to anyone and everyone. It's due for release on the 1st of August, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment