Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday (59)

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine, in which we highlight an upcoming book release we're eagerly awaiting.


This week I'm waiting on The Age Of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. I know the blurb has to play up the speculative element to, you know, sell, but I feel like (at least, from the title) it'll slip into the background as a way to parallel the contemporary story arc. Plus the cover is my favourite kind, and gives the impression of a warming story.




“It still amazes me how little we really knew. . . . Maybe everything that happened to me and my family had nothing at all to do with the slowing. It’s possible, I guess. But I doubt it. I doubt it very much.”

On a seemingly ordinary Saturday in a California suburb, Julia and her family awake to discover, along with the rest of the world, that the rotation of the earth has suddenly begun to slow. The days and nights grow longer and longer, gravity is affected, the environment is thrown into disarray. Yet as she struggles to navigate an ever-shifting landscape, Julia is also coping with the normal disasters of everyday life—the fissures in her parents’ marriage, the loss of old friends, the hopeful anguish of first love, the bizarre behavior of her grandfather who, convinced of a government conspiracy, spends his days obsessively cataloging his possessions. As Julia adjusts to the new normal, the slowing inexorably continues.


[Synopsis by Goodreads]

The Ages Of Miracles will be released by Random House on the 26th of June, 2012.

Feel free to leave a link to your own Waiting On Wednesday post in the comments, and I'll be sure to have a look.

2 comments:

Post a Comment