Sunday, August 15, 2010

Review of Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

It's been two months since by introductory blog, and no reviews. Apologies. But I'm about to get right on it, starting with Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.



Read the blurb here at goodreads. In fact, while you're there, add me as a friend!







So I'm not going to lie, I was originally hesitant to pick up Beautiful Creatures, because of a cheesy title and cheesy blurb that just made it sound like every other YA book out there.
But, I did end up picking it up, once a friend suggested it. And then I couldn't put it down.

Things I loved about Beautiful Creatures:

1. The title that I originally thought cheesy became exponetially less cheesy when the phrase came up in the prose: "Humans are such beautiful creatures." (I'm paraphrasing: I read it a while ago, and I haven't the book handy). Especially when it was juxtaposed later when another character said humans were "horrible creatures" (paraphrasing, once again).

2. When you read it, you could just tell that all the words were chosen specifically and carefully. The result of reading co-authored books. While I'm talking about authors, I want to point out that this is the first book Kami and Margaret have written, and that this is a really great debut.

3. I loved the male protagonist's point of view. Most of the books I've read in YA are from the point of view of females, and this was a refreshing change. It's also different to have the boy be the human and the girl supernatural.

4. THE SIXTEEN MOONS SONG! I can't even describe how much I love it when lyrics or poetry by the characters makes its way into the book, not just third party poetry used as a preface. The great thing about the Sixteen Moons song was how the words changed each time it was mentioned, albeit subtly.

5. I liked having their ancestors' and town's history woven in. It just furthered the believable small town setting.

I give this debut an 4 out of 5, and anxiously await the sequel, Beautiful Darkness, which is due for release on the 12th of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment